Physique 57 co-founder Tanya Becker has always been consistent in her workouts and clean eating. Still, she reached a point when she wanted to shake things up. As she approached perimenopause, she wasn’t feeling quite as healthy and confident in her body — and no amount of healthy eating or exercise was helping. That is, until she discovered the magic of macros!
“I’ve never been a diet person so I thought, ‘Why would I want to count macros?’ Tanya says. But when her husband ordered a book about it, she decided to give the macro counting a try and customize it to make it her own.
For support in this, Tanya reached out to a former training client, Michelle Waranoski, who works as a Nutrition Coach for Stronger U Nutrition. Together, they calculated Tanya’s target macros based on her body composition, exercise routine, and goals, and made a personalized plan for her.
Now 18 months later, Tanya will never look back! “Focusing on my macros has been life changing,” she says. “We all want to feel good and confident in our bodies, and this is one of the best tools to do that. Combined with workouts and mindfulness practices, it’s transformative!”
So how did Tanya do it — and how can you incorporate counting macros into your own life? We break down everything you need to know! Everyone is different, so we encourage you to listen to your body and do what works best for your diet. Here Tanya shares her personal experience of what worked for her.
What are macros?
Macros is short for macronutrients. All food is made up of macronutrients and micronutrients. Macronutrients — protein, fat, and carbohydrates — are what we use in the largest amounts, while micronutrients are all the other essential nutrients that our bodies need to perform, according to Tanya’s coach Michelle Waranoski, who lost 18 pounds herself counting macros.
Counting macros essentially means keeping track of how much protein, fat, and carbs you are consuming per day and the percentages of each.
Why focus on macros?
Knowledge is power — and having knowledge around macros is a major educational tool for your healthy lifestyle. “I think everyone should at least be aware of their macros because most people don’t know what they’re taking in,” Coach Michelle says. “Even the healthiest eaters may not be getting enough protein or may not realize how much fat and carbs they’re having.” Tanya personally noticed that she was having way more fat than protein or carbs.
Balancing macros also takes the focus off eating or limiting whole categories of foods like low-fat or high-protein diets. “We don’t live in a society where food is made up that way,” Michelle says. “There is delicious food that contains all macros! With this method, we’re not taking anything away from you. We’re teaching you how to eat the right amounts at the right time.”
The benefits of counting macros
- It can work for everybody and every body: “What’s so great about this is that it can work for vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians, meat eaters, everyone!” Tanya says. Michelle works with clients of all ages, genders, body types, and dietary needs.
- It’s simple: Once you get into the swing of counting macros, it becomes second nature. There aren’t strict rules or complicated formulas, and you can’t mess it up, Michelle assures. “The beauty is that you can’t really make a mistake. If you eat more of your macros at one meal, you can course correct it at the next meal or the next day.”
- You can still enjoy your life: Counting macros isn’t about depriving yourself. “If I want pizza one day, I can go for it and balance out my macros at other meals,” Tanya says. Michelle adds: “I want everyone to enjoy their life and enjoy their food!”
- It will help you lose weight and maintain consistently: Counting macros is not a quick-fix diet. “I don’t recommend quick weight loss ever,” Michelle says. However, the method will help you steadily lose weight and build lean body mass.
- Your overall nutrition will be on point: When you focus on macros, you will naturally be getting tons of veggies and nutrient-packed foods, so your overall nutrition will improve. Tanya now eats more veggies than ever before!
- You’ll improve your sleep quality: “We often overlook sleep, but if you can get that in line, that habit is everything,” Michelle says.
- You’ll have more energy: Balancing macros helps prevent blood sugar spikes and dips that lead to exhaustion and fogginess.
How to count macros
Your ideal macro balance is unique to your body, your goals, and your lifestyle. For example, if you want to build lean muscle, having more protein will be important. If you’re an endurance athlete, you might need more carbs and a little less protein, Michelle advises.
You can calculate your macros by yourself online, but Tanya suggests working with a coach if that’s available to you. “With a coach, you get accountability, guidance and support,” Tanya says.
Once you know your individual macro breakdown, you can easily track your intake with apps like MyFitnessPal, Cronometer, and Lose It! Once you have a baseline for how much you’re taking in, you can start to adjust your levels to meet your goals.
Tanya’s incredible results
“I feel healthy, confident, and great in my clothes again!” Tanya says. “I lost about 9 pounds, but the number on the scale isn’t what this is about. It’s about how I feel!” After 18 months counting macros, Tanya also has more energy, sleeps better, has more mental clarity and sharpness, and her skin is glowing!
Tanya’s sample day of eating
Every day is a little different, but here’s a peek at what Tanya eats on a typical day:
- Breakfast: Protein shake with protein and almond milk
- Lunch: Egg white omelet with spinach, onions, pepper, garlic, kalamata olives, and cashew milk cheese with a wrap or Ezekiel english muffin
- Afternoon snack: Celery juice and broccoli or cauliflower with seasonings like garlic powder and sprinkled cheese
- Dinner: Protein like shrimp, chicken, or turkey with a sweet potato, veggies, and lots of seasonings
- Dessert: Yogurt parfait with blueberries and granola and an herbal tea
- Tons of water all day long!
Interested in learning more about macros from Tanya’s coach? You can sign up for Stronger U and ask for Coach Michelle Waranoski.
And of course, healthy eating pairs perfectly with Physique 57 workouts to achieve your goals!