Are you ready to take your push-ups to new heights and greater depths? The tricep push-up is an awesome variation that targets a part of the arm that we love to tone and shape, but unlike the biceps these muscles tend to get ignored in everyday life. Once you’ve mastered the tricep push-up, you’ll be on your way to 360 degrees of arm strength and tone!
Muscles targeted: Triceps, biceps, shoulders, core
- Place your hands on the floor lined up directly underneath your shoulders, arms stretched long.
- With your knees on the floor, squeeze your heels in toward your seat.
- Pull your abdominal wall up and in to make sure that your core is activated and your hips stay in alignment with you.
- Bend your elbows with arms squeezing in by your waistline to lower your chest toward the floor.
- Exhale and press the floor away as you lift up.
- Try for 10 -15 reps.
[iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/RKbudTPlb3I” width=”100%” height=”447″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=true]
Tips for success:
- As you lower down your elbows should graze your waistline, a great sign that the triceps are getting fully engaged.
- Support your head by taking your focus just past your fingers on the floor, as opposed to letting your head drop and weigh you down.
- Place a weight under your chest that you try to reach every time, keeping your motivation up to get lower – the depth is where the triceps work really kicks in to high gear!
- When you feel ready, try it with toes tucked under and legs straight.