By Neda Varbanova, Physique 57’s Food Coach.
January is the perfect time to reset your eating habits and get back into your workout groove. It doesn’t matter how naughty you were during the holidays or how far you’ve fallen from the wagon, you can restart your healthy habits anytime! Here are 10 tips for getting back into shape in the New Year:
1. Drink Lemon Water. Start the day by drinking a cup of warm water with 1/2 of a lemon and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar. This will help kickstart your metabolism.
2. Stay Hydrated. Drink at least 2 liters of water every day. Staying hydrated is really important for many reasons, one of which is that it helps curb hunger. Sometimes, when you feel hungry, you are actually just thirsty. If you drink enough water, you’ll be able to better listen to these cues from your body.
3. Follow a meal plan. Have your health coach or nutritionist create a 7-day meal plan that is easy to follow, delicious and won’t leave you hungry.
4. Exercise Keep up with your Physique 57 classes in studio or On-demand. Aim to take class at least four times a week.
5. Fill up on fiber. Ensure you get enough fiber each day by increasing your intake of dark leafy vegetables, berries, oats, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and psyllium husk.
6. Mind portion sizes. Make sure the protein and carbs on your plate are no bigger than the size of your palm.
7. Eat early. The earlier you eat dinner, the better. Try to finish by 7pm and slip in a mini overnight fast of approximately 12 – 14 hours. This will give your overworked digestive system a rest.
8. Get some rest. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. If you are sleep deprived, your metabolism will slow down which can lead to weight gain.
9. Eat slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your stomach that you are no longer hungry.
10. Stock up your kitchen. Shop for the week ahead during the weekend. This way your fridge, freezer, and pantry will be full with healthy foods and you won’t be tempted to order take out.
For more healthy tips and recipes visit physique57.com/blog or healthywithnedi.com. Be sure to to follow us on Instagram @Physique57 to never miss a blog a post!